I’m a wife and mom of two sweet kids (and Ida, our Belgian Malinois pooch) who are growing up so fast I have to remind myself to breathe and enjoy the ride. I’m often accused of being silly and completely misquoting song lyrics. I grew up in a small town but I’ve been to all 50 states. I freakin’ love tacos and could eat them every day. I used to spend countless hours processing and printing b/w film in my darkroom. You can read more about why I switched back to film photography here. I’m adventurous, and a major part of our family bonding time is exploring together. We try new things and test our limits. In my little online space here, I write a lot about my love of family and film, lighting, and my main passion – creating beautiful and genuine child and family photography that celebrates YOU and your family (including your fur-babies).
2018 has been a busy year! Besides photographing amazing newborns and families for professional and editorial work, I was invited to teach at the Click Away photography conference about using artificial light in lifestyle photography. I launched my first online course, Lighting for Lifestyle, teaching other photographers how to use flash for indoor family photography. I’m Co-Founder of Film Camp, a film and family-based photography retreat held in Palm Springs. (It was a blast and I can’t wait to share details about the next one.) Most recently, I decided it was time to start giving back. I’m now a volunteer photographer for Soulumination, a wonderful organization who provides life-affirming photographs of a child’s life, and provide a loving legacy for the parents of children lost to terminal illness.
Features & Awards:
- 2014 VOICE Digital Print Competition: Two finalist images out of 8,000 entries. Newness finalist and Outtake finalist.
- 3rd place in Design Aglow’s Baby Contest, 2014.
- Let The Kids Dress Themselves family photo session on film, March 2015.
- Little Bellows, Portra 800 Four Ways, March 2015.
- 2015 VOICE Collection : 208 finalists chosen out of 18,000 entries. Street Finalist Gallery, August 2015.
- Mozi Magazine Featured Photographer, “Why I Switched from Digital to Film”, August 2015.
- Lemonade & Lenses November Film Publication – featured photographer,“Using Film for Family Photo Sessions”, November 2015.
- Clickin’ Moms Blog, “Near or Far, 8 Ways to Photograph your Family Adventures”, January 2016.
- Little Bellows, “Getting into the Zone with Kim Hildebrand”, January 2016.
- Click Magazine, “Light Trick: Consistently Stylish” feature, March/April Edition 2016.
- 1st Place in Rangefinder Magazine’s Best Friends Contest, featured in March Issue 2016.
- Merit of Recognition, NAPCP January 2016 International Image Competition, Newborn Category.
- Let the Kids, “A Month on the Lake with film photographer Kim Hildebrand”, June 2016.
- Wildling Magazine,“Wild Abandon” photography essay, Volume 5, June 2016.
- Clickin’ It Old School, “Toy Camera Tuesday” feature, August 2016.
- Click Magazine, “18 Instagram Users you should be following but aren’t”, August 2016.
- 2nd Place in Lemonade & Lenses’ Summer 2016 International Image Contest, Newborn Category.
- Named One of the Top Photographers to Watch in 2017 by Clickin Moms, February 2017.
- Featured in Mozi Magazine film issue, February 2017.
- Click Blog, “6 Things I’ve Learned After Closing the Studio”, February 2017.
- Featured in Click Magazine March/April issue, 2017.
- Upcoming Instructor teaching “Great Light Anywhere: Achieving A Natural Look in Lifestyle Photography with Artificial Light” at Click Away, Amelia Island, FL, February 2018.
- Featured in Wildling Magazine, Volume 9, “The Thrifty Life”, July 2017.
- Shoot Along Spotlight Interview feature Kim Hildebrand, September 2017.
- Shoot it with Film New York City film feature, February 2018.
- 2nd Place, NAPCP February 2018 International Image Competition, Toddler Category, April 2018.
- Lumopro feature, Ambassador Interview with Lifestyle Photographer Kim Hildebrand, May 2018.
- Using the Zone System to Meter Film, Shoot it With Film, July 2018.
- Using Flash with Film for In-Home Lifestyle Photography, Shoot it With Film, July 2018.
- Co-Founder and Instructor at Film Camp, Palm Springs, Sept. 2018.
- 2018 VOICE Collection: 48,000 entries. Strength Finalist, January 2019.
- 1st place Magnolia Rouge Photo Awards, Winner Family Category March 2019.
- Feature story in PPA Magazine, Homemade, May 2019 Issue.